Oxford Mills in Ashton under Lyne (burned down)

Oxford Mills in Ashton under Lyne (burned down)

Integrated cotton mill comprising 2 spinning mills either side of a warehouse and office block, with weaving sheds attached to one mill.
First mill dated 1840, the second, 1851. Warehouse building c. 1850. Weaving sheds possibly a later addition. Cast iron and brick fire-proof structure, with brick cladding and low pitched Welsh slate roofs. Mill no.1 of 6 storeys, 28×6 bays. Angles stressed with plain panelled pilasters with heavy stone capitals. Small brick arched windows with stone sills. Internal engine house to rear, in bay emphasised by pilasters. Semi-octagonal stair tower towards the centre of the inner face of mill and storeyed bridge carried on cast-iron girders linking the spinning block to the warehouse building which forms the central block of the complex. The warehouse also 5 storeyed, 10×5 bays with small brick arched windows. Front gable end comprises offices on 2 storeys, with central door in architrave with entablature carried on moulded console brackets, and flanking windows with stressed stone architraves with flat voussoir heads with keystones. Angles stressed. by plain panelled pilasters with stone capitals linked to moulded parapet with raised central blocking course. Very narrow single-storeyed saw-toothed range of 8 bays to southwest side of this block, probably card room extension.
A storeyed bridge links warehouse block to mill no.2. Dated 1851. 3 storeys but originally 4, and 10×5 bays. Weaving sheds adjoin mill no.2: Single storeyed but extensively altered. An important example of an integrated complex planned as a series of linked blocks.

%d bloggers like this: